Reading is a key component not only for the English curriculum but for all areas of leaning at the school.
Developing a love of reading and the skills to read is at the core of all our learning at Hope Community School.
The school focuses on
- developing reading skills through the teaching of phonics and other skills so children become confident and fluent readers
- developing pupils' vocabulary, their skills in understanding a variety of texts ( stories, poems, rhymes, and non fiction texts)
- develop a love of reading
All children will be taught how to develop their spelling skills so they can be confident at writing.
Help your child learn English
Help your child enjoy to develop a joy for reading by sharing this list of 100 great non fiction texts with them, see how many they and you can read.
Term 3: whole school India project: books to read
- The Elephants Friend by Marcia Williams
- Handful of Rice by Kamala Markandya
- The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
- Year 5 are reading Holes by Louis Sachar
- Entrepreneurs are reading The Whale and the Snail by Julia Donaldson