Languages at Hope Community School
Here at Hope Community School we aim to provide a languages curriculum which prepares children for the 21st century and embodies our core values of creativity, adventure, openness and excellence. In Key Stage 2 children learn French.
We use a variety of the following techniques to encourage children to have an active engagement:
- Games – in order to develop vocabulary through repetition, reading, writing, speaking and listening skills.
- Role-play – these should relate to situations the children may find themselves in the future.
- Action songs and rhymes – to develop memory skills and to further vocabulary.
- Reading and writing quality materials.
- Building children’s confidence through praise for any contribution they make in the foreign language, however tentative.
Our aim is that all children:
- Will become aware that language has a structure, and that the structure differs from one language to another.
- Will develop their language and communication through development of the four key skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing.
- Will enrich their language learning by developing an understanding of the French culture.
- Will transfer to KS3 effectively and successfully and will be well-prepared to continue and develop their language skills.