Languages at Hope Community School
Here at Hope Community School we aim to provide a languages curriculum which prepares children for the 21st century and embodies our core values of creativity, adventure, openness and excellence. In Key Stage 2 children learn Mandarin. This language was selected when the school first opened as it is the second most widely spoken language in the world. Our Key Stage 2 Mandarin Curriculum is delivered through our external partnership with The Orpington School of Chinese. Our partnership also sees the Chinese teacher's from the Mandarin School visit regularly to help us celebrate Chinese festivals such as New Year.
They use a variety of the following techniques to encourage children to have an active engagement:
- Games – in order to develop vocabulary through repetition, reading, writing, speaking and listening skills.
- Role-play – these should relate to situations the children may find themselves in the future.
- Action songs and rhymes – to develop memory skills and to further vocabulary.
- Reading and writing quality materials.
- Building children’s confidence through praise for any contribution they make in the foreign language, however tentative.
Our aim is that all children:
- Will become aware that language has a structure, and that the structure differs from one language to another.
- Will develop their language and communication through development of the four key skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing.
- Will enrich their language learning by developing an understanding of the Chinese culture.
- Will transfer to KS3 effectively and successfully and will be well-prepared to continue and develop their language skills.