History at Hope Community School
Here at Hope Community School we aim to provide a history curriculum which embodies our core values of creativity, adventure, excellence and openness. Through exploring history through engaging, hands on learning, which develops both substantive and disciplinary knowledge, we endeavour to inspire our children and develop them into the historians of the future.
Through a carefully considered two year rolling programme, we provide a high-quality history education that explores the complexities of our civilisation’s past in a way which entices children’s curiosity and develops their critical thinking skills.
Our lessons aim to give children hands-on experiences and a wide range of experiences, which will prepare them for secondary school and the wider world as globally responsible citizens.
Our aim is that all children:
- Follow the historical enquiry cycle of: question, investigate, interpret, evaluate and communicate;
- Become familiar with a deep body of historical knowledge, principles, skills an vocabulary;
- Know and understand the history of Britain, how people’s lives have shaped it and how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world;
- Know and understand significant aspects of the history of the wider world;
- Understand historical concepts, such as continuity and change, cause and consequence, similarity, difference and significance;
- Understand the methods of historical enquiry and decide on the validity of a range of sources;
- Gain historical perspective by looking at historical events from a variety of points of view.