Geography at Hope Community School
At Hope Community School, we believe that all children should be inspired to have a real sense of curiosity and fascination to find out about the world around them and the people within it. We aim to provide a geography curriculum which embodies our core values of creativity, adventure, excellence and openness. We explore geography through engaging, hands on learning, which develops both substantive and disciplinary knowledge, we endeavour to inspire our children and develop them into the geographers of the future.
Through a carefully considered two year rolling programme, we provide a high-quality geography education that encourages children to ask questions about the world around them, gaining knowledge and an understanding about diverse places, people, resources and environments.
Our lessons aim to give children hands-on experiences and a wide range of experiences, which will prepare them for secondary school and the wider world as globally responsible citizens.
Our aim is that all children:
- Have contextual knowledge of the location of globally significant places – terrestrial and marine – and their related geographical characteristics and processes;
- Can understand the Earth’s key physical and human processes;
- Can collect, analyse and communicate data gathered from fieldwork;
- Are able to interpret geographical sources, such as maps, diagrams, globes, photographs and Geographical Information Systems (GIS);
- Can effectively communicate through images, maps, data and written formats.