Design and Technology at Hope Community School
Here at Hope Community School we recognise how important Design and Technology (DT) is for children growing up in the 21st Century. Enabling children to think creatively, take risks, innovate and nurture their own curiosity about the world around them, DT is a valuable aspect of our children’s learning journey.
Through a carefully considered two year rolling programme we provide a high-quality design education that explores skills in research, design, making, evaluating, and developing technical knowledge and skills. Children have the opportunity to explore DT though food, mechanical structures, digital content, textiles, electrical design and structures in way which inspires our core values; adventure, creativity, openness and excellence.
Our lessons aim to give children real, hands-on experience which will prepare them for secondary school and the wider world as globally responsible citizens.
Our aim is that all children:
- Access the key strands of: design, makes, evaluate
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently
- Are prepared to be positive contributors in an increasingly technological world
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users;
- Acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art;
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.